Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March 2, 2011: Inspired to Blog

Hi! I finally decided to take the plunge and start a blog. I enjoy writing, so I'm excited to be writing. The real challenge will be staying on top of it, as I tend to get distracted from time to time. I won't be able to write much today because I'm giving a webinar about autism tomorrow, and I need to finish my presentation. The topic is of personal relevance to me because I have mild autism.

What can I say about autism that hasn't already been said? You see autism everywhere in the media, and sometimes it makes me cringe. There's a billboard with a statistic about how many kids are diagnosed with autism and there's a picture of a boy with his eyes downcast as if his life were ruined. All too often, people focus on limitations and not enough on talents. Don't pity people with autism...pity people who don't even try to understand those of us who live with it. It's really not that bad sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment